Snow Ski and Board Sports
Webelos Scouts that earn the Snow Ski and Board Sports Belt Loop
while a Webelos Scout
also satisfy part of requirement 3 for the Sportsman Activity Badge.
Complete these three requirements:
- Explain the conditioning, clothing, equipment, and planning needed for snow
skiing or boarding.
- Explain "Your Responsibility Code," the rules of safety and courtesy for the
slopes. (See "Your Responsibility Code" on the back of this page. (Click here to see "Your Responsibility
- Go skiing or snow boarding. Demonstrate how to stop and turn.
Earn the Snow
Ski and Board Sports belt loop, and
complete five of the
- Explain the different kinds of ski lifts, such as a rope tow and "fixed
grip" and "detachable" chair lifts.
- Describe the five universal symbols used to indicate ski trail difficulty.
- Demonstrate how to hold your position and get up from a fall.
- Demonstrate how to fall safely to avoid injury.
- Explain why it is important to protect nature and wildlife shile skiing or
- Practice skiing or snowboardin for at least five hours. You can do this in
more than one day.
- Explain what to do if you see a skiing or snow boarding accident. Discuss
the dangers of avalanche.
- Take a skiing or snow boarding lesson.
- View a video on skiing or snow boarding.
- Talk with a member of a ski patrol and learn about the job he or she does at
the ski slope.
- Learn about an Olympian who competed in skiing or snowboarding and report to
top of page