Reading and Writing
subject was added in November 2009.
Complete these three requirements:
- Visit a library and get your own library card. Check out and return a
- Write a letter or a short story. Read it to your den or family.
- Keep a diary of your activities for one week. Read it to your den or
Earn the Reading and
Writing belt loop, and complete five of
the following requirements:
- Locate and identify the following parts of a book: title, author,
spine, cover, table of contents, and index.
- Read a book to a child or group of children.
- Participate in a school or community organized reading program.
- Explain the differences in a biography, autobiography, fiction, and
nonfiction books to your parent or den leader.
- Create a bookmark that you can use, or design a book cover.
- Read an article from a newspaper or magazine. This can be done on the
computer. Report about what you read to an adult.
- Write a poem and read it to a family member.
- Write a short report about something of interest to you. Read your
report to your den or family.
- Read several jokes and riddles. Create two of your own and share them
with your den or family.
- Write a commercial, song, or jingle for some product. Perform it for
your den or family.
- Create your own alphabet, writing system, or code and explain it to
your den or pack.
- Learn about another writing system such as petroglyphs or Egyptian
hieroglyphs. Do your best to draw some of these symbols. Report what you
learned to your den or family.
top of page