This sport was added in November 2009.
The Hockey belt loop and pin include roller hockey
and ice hockey. You may complete requirements in either or both activities.
Complete these three requirements:
- Explain ways to protect yourself while skating. Demonstrate how to put on
all necessary safety equipment. Explain why proper safety equipment is
- Spend 30 minutes practicing the skills of hockey: skating, stick handling,
passing, shooting, and checking. This may be over two different practice
- Play a game of hockey while on roller skates or hockey skates.
belt loop, and complete
five of the following
- Participate in a pack, school, or community hockey tournament or in a
supervised hockey league.
- Participate in a hockey skills development clinic.
- Spend at least 30 minutes practicing the skills of hockey: skating,
stick handling, passing, shooting, and checking. This may be over two
different practice periods.
- Draw the layout of the playing surface for a hockey game including the
starting positions of the goalie, three forwards (two wings and a center),
and two defenders.
- Demonstrate foul signals. Explain to your den or team why players should
- Attend a high school, college, or professional hockey game.
- Demonstrate hockey terms (for example, assist, breakaway, deke, draw,
pulling the goalie, and so on.) to another team member or adult.
- Learn about a U.S. Olympic hockey team and report what you learn to your
den or family.
- Watch an ice resurfacing machine at an ice rink. Report to your den or
family about the history of the machine commonly known as the Zamboni and
how it is used.
top of page