Webelos Scouts that earn the Geology Belt
Loop while a Webelos Scout
also satisfy requirement 9 for the
Complete these three requirements:
- Define geology.
- Collect a sample of igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic rocks. Explain
how each was formed.
- Explain the difference between a rock and a mineral.
Geology belt loop,
five of the following
- Make a plaster cast of a fossil.
- Make a special collection of rocks and minerals that illustrates the
- Give examples of sedimentary, igneous, and metamorphic rocks.
- Gather several different types of rocks. Compare them and put them in
groups according to physical properties such as color, texture, luster,
hardness, or crystals.
- Describe the effects of wind, water, and ice on the landscape.
- Make "pet rocks" using rocks, paint, and glue-on eyes. Tell a creative
story about your pet rocks.
- Draw a diagram showing different types of volcanoes or draw a diagram
that labels the different parts of a volcano.
- Make a crystal garden.
- Make a collection of five different fossils and identify them to the
best of your ability.
- Make a poster or display showing 10 everyday products that contain or
use rocks or minerals.
- Visit a mine, oil or gas field, gravel pit, stone quarry, or similar
area of special interest related to geology.
- Visit with a geologist. Find out how he or she prepared for the job.
Discuss other careers related to geology.
- Draw the inside of a cave showing the difference between stalactites
top of page