Webelos Scouts that earn the Fishing Belt Loop while a Webelos
also satisfy part of requirement 3 for the Sportsman Activity Badge.
Complete these three requirements:
- Review your local fishing regulations with your leader or adult partner.
Explain why they are important, and commit to following them.
- Demonstrate how to properly bait a hook.
- Try to catch a fish.
Earn the Fishing belt loop, and
complete five of the
- Compete in a pack or community fishing tournament.
- Demonstrate how to clean a fish.
- Prepare a report on three different kinds of fish. Include information on
preferred habitats, feeding habits, and recommended fishing techniques, baits,
and equipment needed to catch it.
- Draw a picture of three different types of fishing reels. Explain how each
- Tie three fishing flies. Use at least one to fish.
- Demonstrate proficiency in casting at a target 30 feet away.
- Select a species of fish and draw a picture of it, correctly labeling each
part and its function.
- Replace the line in a fishing reel.
- Make a simple pole and line fishing rig. Use it to catch a fish.
- Catch a fish using artificial bait or lures.
- Practice fishing on five occasions, complying with local fishing regulations
and the Outdoor Code.
top of page